Third Wednesday Webinars
Education and Workforce Development
Our eighth webinar in the series was held on August 21, 2013.
The webinar is designed to inform you about how Virginia’s education and workforce training system is preparing the emerging, incumbent, and displaced workforce for employment throughout the Commonwealth. You will hear what is taking place to align education and training programs with the needs of business and industry. You will also hear about how Virginia’s Department of Education, Virginia’s Community Colleges, Virginia Employment Commission and other agencies have partnered to develop, track and assess metrics and outcomes that are meaningful to economic development in Virginia. Listeners will learn about what programs are in place to address education and workforce development needs, as well as specific examples of successful policies and programs that have provided tailored training solutions based on business demands.
Elizabeth Creamer, Director of Education and Workforce Development, Secretary of Education, Office of Governor Bob McDonnell
Randall Stamper, Assistant Vice Chancellor, Career Pathways and Workforce Programs, Virginia Community College System
Attendees will learn:
- How are career coaches in high schools reaching out to students and parents to point students to careers that support or serve Virginia’s businesses and industries?
- What is the role of the Virginia Workforce Council and the Workforce Investment Act and how are those changing to better meet industry needs for skilled workers?
- What programs are in place to help adults define a career pathway and get the certifications necessary to serve Virginia businesses and industries?
- How are Virginia’s community colleges listening to and responding to the skills and training needs of Virginia‘s businesses and industries?
- What are the metrics of workforce readiness developed by the Career Pathways Work Group and what does the Virginia Report Card look like?
- What resources are available to help economic developers, local officials and managers of business and industry find out more about education and workforce development in Virginia?
- How can business and industry managers best connect with the training programs and providers they need to ensure a well trained workforce now and in the future?
A recording of this session is available by clicking here. If you experience problems with the recording, you may want to try using the VLC media player instead of Windows Media Player. The VLC media player can be downloaded here.
Click here to view and print the presentation slides. If you experience problems with the recording, you may want to try using the VLC media player instead of Windows Media Player. The VLC media player can be downloaded here.
To see a schedule of webinars in our series of webinars for 2013, please click here.