Third Wednesday Webinars
Get Ready for Manufacturing Day in Virginia 2015
The second webinar in our 2015 series will take place on February 18, 2015 from 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.
Manufacturing Day is a national event designed to celebrate and showcase modern manufacturing in the USA. One of the objectives of Manufacturing Day is to create awareness of the importance of advanced technology and manufacturing as a career in a global economy. Its goal is to inspire the next generation of manufacturers.
While there were several events that took place across Virginia on Manufacturing Day 2014, we think what the Williamsburg – James City County area put together, in collaboration with the Association for Manufacturing Excellence (AME), is a model to be replicated. Our speakers will share how local officials in the Williamsburg – James City County area assembled the resources, secured commitments, engaged students, and conducted successful Manufacturing Day events that not only served existing business and industry, and local citizens, but also generated international publicity.
During this webinar, you will hear about how Williamsburg-James City County (WJCC) schools, students, teachers, career coaches, guidance counselors, elected officials, and private citizens came together to Adopt-a-School. You will hear about how companies such as Walmart Distribution Center, Printpack, Ball Corporation, Newport News Shipbuilding and others opened their doors to the public to reveal how advanced technology is being applied in the workplace, and how students can prepare themselves for exciting high-paying career opportunities in manufacturing. You will learn what steps can be taken to plan for and carry out a successful Manufacturing Day event in your respective region or locality. Attendees will be invited to get involved in Manufacturing Day 2015.
Glenn Marshall, Association for Manufacturing Excellence (AME)
Kate Sipes, James City County
Heather Cordasco, Williamsburg-James City County Schools
Attendees will learn:
- What Manufacturing Day 2015 is about
- How events around MfgDay can be part of your Business Retention & Expansion (BRE) program
- How events around MfgDay help prepare students for careers in manufacturing
- How Williamsburg – James City County prepared for Manufacturing Day 2013 and 2014
- How localities, businesses, industries, schools and community colleges can register their events
- What is the “collective impact” on the community
- What steps a locality can take to get ready for Manufacturing Day 2015
- Where economic developers and community leaders can go for more information
A recording of this session is available here.
To see a schedule of webinars in our series of webinars for 2015, please click here.