Third Wednesday Webinars
Business Retention and Expansion (BRE): strengthening the core
This is the twelfth and final webinar in the 2013 series which took place on December 18, 2013.
The webinar is designed to reinforce the importance of a sound existing business and industry program, outline the fundamental components of a Business Retention and Expansion (BRE) program, and discuss how we as economic developers can deliver superior BRE services in our respective communities.
You will learn why Business Retention and Expansion (BRE) is important to existing employers and what impact existing employers can have in generating new jobs and capital investment. You will learn techniques on how to engage existing business and industry leaders in conversations that strengthen business relationships and build trust. You will gain an understanding of when it is best to survey existing industries (or not), and what methods are most effective. You will be provided sample questions that can be used to help uncover potential risks, understand local business concerns, identify trends, and even reveal expansion opportunities.
This webinar will help you discover ways to strengthen the core of an existing BRE program. It will show you how an active BRE program can favorably strengthen regional clusters and supply chains, improve business recruitment, enhance workforce readiness, link resources for research and development, conduct technology transfer, and grow international trade.
Laith Wardi, President, ExecutivePulse
Those attending this webinar will learn::
- How to determine which existing businesses and industries should be part of a formal BRE effort.
- Who are the stakeholders and who should be involved in a BRE strategy?
- When to involve others when reaching out to existing businesses and industries.
- What are the best practices in BRE among communities that have favorable track records of multiple expansions, highly skilled and satisfied workers, and repeated testimonials of satisfied businesses and industries?
- What questions should be asked when visiting or meeting with existing businesses and industries?
- How can a formidable BRE program lead to improved business recruitment, workforce readiness or international trade?
- What resources are available to help Virginia, its regions and its localities, manage the customer relationship, track trends, and run reports?
A recording of this session is available here.